The activities of HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank include receiving, preparation, storage and distribution of biological samples and associated data for biomedical research ensuring their compliance with technical and quality criteria and legal and ethical requirements.
Currently the HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank stores:
- More than 14,000 frozen blocks of brain
- More than 800 cases of brain in formalin
- More than 300 prion sample records
- More than 48,000 frozen tumour samples. Estimated annual growth of 3.000/4.000 samples.
- More than 5,700 frozen non-tumour samples (blood, bone marrow, urine, etc).
- More than 4,500 samples of lymphocytes and splenocytes from donors and renal transplant recipients.
Currently the HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank features:
- 12 vertical -80 °C deep freezers equipped with back-up system for CO2, remote control temperature with integrated Sirius in the general alarm system
- One horizontal -80 °C deep freezer for conservation and storing dry ice shipments.
- 3 heavy duty shelves for samples at room temperature
- 1 steam-phase nitrogen tank with capacity for 98,000 cryovials.
Available at http://www.idibell.cat/modul/biobank/en
- Legal and ethical quality: ensuring respect for fundamental rights and liberties, protection of the dignity and identity of the source and treatment of personal data in accordance with current regulations.
- Scientific quality: promoting collaboration between different units and research groups sample providers as guarantee of quality scientific policy.
- Quality Management: ISO 9001 Model to strengthen quality standards to make the Biobank an establishment that can compete with the best and adopt continuous improvement as a fundamental line of work facilitating compliance with ISO 9001
- Equality: promote equal opportunities and ensure a work environment where staff can develop its full potential and be able to contribute to continuous improvement, regardless of race, gender, religion or disability.
- Social Responsibility: support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights and implementing internationally recognized standards on social responsibility